Wednesday 22 April 2015

Grateful for friends

Today has been about feeling grateful for the friends we have made since moving here almost a year ago. And about that bl**dy car.

After breakfast this morning, Stuart set off on his way to Lanciole for his second day of strimming work in a row - having not managed to go up there last week, he needed to put in two days there this week to make up for it. I'd really rather he didn't have to go, especially as he was already tired from a full-on day up there yesterday, but the small amount of cash he earns helps towards all of our outgoings and since he'd missed last week, well, I didn't argue.

I settled down to my desk for an hour's work until Sue arrived for a coffee. We'd originally arranged to meet up yesterday afternoon, but she'd had to cancel so it was lovely to see her this morning. The two of us sat in the glorious sunshine, taking in the stunning view and having a really good catch up and putting the world to rights. While I feel incredibly privileged to have been able to make the move here and live in such a beautiful place, with the person (and animals) I love, and work gradually towards the self-sufficient life we hope for, life here isn't always 'paradise' and it can be very hard and isolating at times - living in a new country without a decent grasp of the language and without the comfort of daily contact with friends and acquaintances sometimes leaves me feeling very vulnerable and while it's always lovely to hear from friends and family back in the UK and to feel their support, you can't beat a face-to-face heart-to-heart. I therefore feel incredibly grateful for the friends we have made here, and the couple of hours I spent catching up with Sue this morning felt like balm for the soul. A good old natter left me feeling refreshed, revitalised and content.

Not a bad view for a morning coffee.


That feeling lasted until mid-afternoon, when Stuart called me from the mobile (via Skype on my tablet PC as neither landline nor Skype phone currently work - what was that I was saying about sometimes feeling isolated?) to say that he couldn't start the car. Great. He'd already been trying for an hour and a quarter when I spoke to him and, while the car will bump start easily when it's behaving this way (which has become increasingly frequent recently), it was parked in front of those 7ft gates up at Lanciole (the very same gates that he had to scale yesterday - and again today), with nowhere to go to.

The knowledge that Stuart was stuck, tired and fed up with a non-functioning car, was a worry. The increasing tension I felt wasn't helped by the fact that, today, Reggie seems to have had the wind up him, so to speak. He spent the whole of the afternoon (and evening) barking at the top of his voice - up at the terraces, down on the lawn, back up at the garden steps... A lack of having had a proper walk for a few days was, I'm sure, a contributing factor to this, but every time I tried to settle back to my computer, Reggie would wander in, sit down, and then all of a sudden jump up with the loudest bark he could muster. Not good for my concentration!!

In the end, I gave in and I did the washing up, made a start on preparing dinner, went and watered all of the veg and closed the cold frames, all the while keeping an ear out for the sound of tyres crunching on gravel, thinking 'he must be coming home soon'.

When it got to 6.30pm, and Stuart has been stuck with a car that wouldn't start for three hours, I was at my wits end, worrying whether he would have to spend the night in the car. It was at that point that another of our amazing friends came to our rescue. Having seen a message I'd posted on Facebook, Donatella asked whether Stuart needed picking up. Yes PLEASE! Between Dontella and me, the two of us orchestrated for Alex (who was out and about in their car at the time) to drive to Lanciole and rescue Stuart and his strimmer. I can't tell you what a relief it was to know that Stuart was being rescued and brought home, and once again, I felt incredibly grateful for the kindness, generosity and friendship we have been privileged to have bestowed on us since moving here.

Stuart eventually arrive home, delivered by Alex, a little before 8pm - roughly four hours later than planned. He looked shattered, fed up and in need of a beer. Thankfully, I was able to supply beer, food and - having switched the water heater on in anticipation - a warm shower (I'd say 'hot shower' but that doesn't really happen in our house). While I put the geese away and finished cooking dinner, he sank into the sofa looking pleased to be home, but with all the complications of the next few days weighing on his mind. The car is still stranded at Lanciole. Stuart's plan is to cycle to the car dealer in the morning, throw the keys at them (I suspect he wants to do that quite literally) and tell them to go and pick it up...

With lots to do over the next couple of days and guests arriving (and needing collecting) on Saturday, the end of our week will be nothing if not er... interesting (well, that's a polite way of putting it).

We remain eternally grateful for our friends, both here and in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment