Saturday 3 May 2014

Last night in Abingdon

I can't quite believe that the time has finally arrived when we are about to leave Abingdon for good. That's just crazy and doesn't seem real. We love Abingdon and all of our friends here, and will be very sad and emotional when we head off out of town in a couple of hours' time.

After my very last early morning 'quad' class at the dojo yesterday, we spent several hours tearing around town visiting banks, the post office, doctors surgery, council office, watch repairer and bureau de change, and after a break for lunch in the pub we spent most of the afternoon doing admin tasks on the computer. About halfway through the afternoon a wall of tiredness hit me and as I sat on the bed watching a bit of tv I struggled to keep my eyes open. Definitely didn't feel in the mood for a party!

Thankfully that all changed when I pulled myself together, got changed and went down to the pub to settle in for the evening. First to arrive at about 6pm was Adrian from Forresters, who said a flying hello before having to dash off to family duties. Allison then came straight from work, and I was delighted that Cheryl and Chris came despite having another function to go on to - it was lovely to see them. After that everyone seemed to arrive at once: Chloe & Lee, Anne & Dave, Becky & Serge, Lena & Richard, Jennie & Pete, Kath, Markus, Wendy & Lee, Rob, Sharon & Dom, Ben & V, Ady & Viv and Dodge.

It was a lovely night, but I struggled to get my head to really register the reason why we were having a fun evening with all of our friends. Even now I am a bit in denial about the fact we are leaving.

As our guests drifted off gradually through the evening, it got sadder and sadder saying goodbye and seeing them leave. The final straw for me, though, was witnessing the emotional goodbye between Stuart and Dodge - such great friends and partners in work and crime (mainly beer-drinking escapades), it is clear they will each be at a loss without the other. So as we watched Dodge walk out of the pub, that is when the tears started, that is when it sunk in that this morning we leave Abingdon, and that is when I fullyrealised that we won't be seeing our lovely friends on a regular basis.

Everyone has promised to come and visit - they'd better keep their word!

In a couple of hours we pack up the car (hoping desperately that everything still fits!) and head for Birmingham.

~ Helen



No comments:

Post a Comment