Wednesday 14 May 2014

Head scratching!

So, the plan for today was to make a start in the apartment, as we decided that with it being a potential revenue stream, it was probably most important.
 
So, after Helen had been for a run... again!... we had the usual breakfast and while Helen headed into the dungeon to do battle with the internet connection, I went downstairs to the apartment, tape measure in hand.
 
I decided first to sketch out a plan - while not pokey down there, it needs careful consideration as to how to furnish it, so after much measuring, plotting the room on the PC, and then surfing (not sure that's the right verb, think drowning is more appropriate) the web for furniture, by lunch time I had come up with a plan - a plan that, after lunch and and a walk through, Helen gave the rubber stamp to.
 
Pleased with my morning's efforts, I fetched my tools from the man cave and set to clearing the living room and kitchen (first job...a new kitchen!).  I have to admit that at this point I've really struggled with seeing past the dodgy plastering in the place - it goes completely against the grain for me to move on past it without re-plastering, but we have agreed that with the timescales were working to and the time it would take to get it tip top being at odds with each other, we have compromised on a... let's say 70% refurb of the apartment. This includes: re-painting, a new kitchen, new sofa, new shelves and TV unit, a new chest of drawers, new wardrobe and re-grouting of the bathroom and fitting new bathroom 'furniture'. That should be sufficient for us to feel happy about charging people the (modest) kind of money that the previous owners were charging for the previous incarnation.
Next year will see a re-plaster, a new bathroom and a new bedroom ceiling. That will complete the transformation and probably increase the rental income a touch too.
 
Having got past this psychological barrier, my motivation was renewed, and I promptly threw the cooker and fridge onto the nicely tidied patio (did in say new fridge and cooker too?), then disconnected the sink and started to dismantle the cupboards - only to find some under pelmet lighting. No problem, I thought, simply knock off the correct trip switch upstairs and disconnect it.
 
Well, that would have been simple enough had the person who labelled the fuse board not used illegible hieroglyphics!
 
Huh?
 
 
After two hours of both Helen and me taking it in turns to turn off trip switches and run around making notes of what did and didn't work, we had traced most of the crazy wiring and we now know how it works - well, kind of. At least now when guests ask why something isn't working we can do more than just shrug.
 
We've sent an email to the previous owner (an electrician) to try and sort the last couple of mysteries out, but we're not holding our breath for a response any time soon - I think his emails have the same attitude to routine as his wiring!
 
At least now we can get cracking in the apartment and I think Helen will feel happier knowing I'm not outside working in the sun (although my 'office' for the next few weeks is considerably brighter than hers).
 
The good news is that Brad (we're calling him 'Mr Satellite') should be here to install our new top-of-the-range, high-speed internet next weekend. The bad news (aside from the crazy price we have to pay for it) is that it could end up being on the same day as our furniture arrives!! The removals company have estimated Sat 24th as delivery day - 10 days from now, and a whole month since we last saw our belongings.
 
I have to thank my wife for being patient with me today while we worked through this crazy electrickery! She had to stop her day job prematurely, but I'm sure she will make up for it when the super-fast internet arrives...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the electrician worked on the wiring at The Fox! Fun, isn't it, and all just to save yourself from electrocution. Sounds like you are making progress, so that's a sign for encouragement. Keep at it, guys. P n J xx

    ReplyDelete