Monday 11 August 2014

Breve Lunedi

I'm sure that's poor Italian, but it gets the point across - it's not that the day was any shorter than any other, (or even that it felt it), it's just a bit short on news. I'm sure the prospect of a short blog will split our audience - some will miss their usual excuse to avoid checking emails before work starts, while others will be relieved of their obligation and can make a start on their day/get to bed sooner than normal. Can't please all of the people all of the time!

We had a late night last night, but not through doing anything even vaguely resembling fun - instead, we were each battling with our respective computers. Since the internet upgrade yesterday, my PC had refused to send email and had taken to blocking half the web pages I tried to visit. Helen's, meanwhile, was fine with the internet but seemed to think that all 6GB of RAM was full despite having rebooted and having no programs running - somewhat less than ideal.

While I was having an hour-long web chat with my email service provider, Helen wrestled with updating social media via a computer that kept wanting to crash. I had put a loaf of bread in the bread machine that wasn't due to finish until 11pm, so we soldiered on with our respective problems until the machine beeped and we promptly threw the towel in. Neither of us had resolved any issues, but I had established that the problem with mine was almost certainly a firewall issue - the advice was to keep trying and in a few days it should sort itself out! I can't complain though, the online tech support person patiently spent an hour with me making sure that it wasn't their fault. I can highly recommend HostPapa for anyone looking for a web-hosting service and email services, they also use only green energy to run their data centres.

This morning was a bit of a rushed affair: I got up when Helen went outside to exercise as I hadn't yet made any lunch to take with me for my day's strimming up the valley and wanted to check the computers again before leaving Helen at home for the day.

It seemed that the buck-passing advice I had been given was spot on - my email and web browsing seemed back to normal! So I had no excuse to avoid seeing if my podcast interview with the guys at TotalTuscany.com had been published. Sure enough it had, it was out there in the big wide world, all 30 minutes of it!! 

So while I had breakfast I listened to someone who was saying all the words I remember saying yesterday, but who sounded (to me) nothing like me waffling on. It was a very weird experience, but I have to admit that after listening back to it, I felt pleased with the result. Travis and Patrick are obviously old hands at this and made me sound pretty good: thanks guys if you're reading!!

Helen came in shortly afterwards and thankfully, the second time she booted her PC it seemed in a happier state (the first time it simply crashed on opening a web browser!). It seemed that luck was with us this morning - for a change - so it was time for us to part company for the day.

The next bit is short and dull (although it was long and dull): I strimmed all day, Helen edited all day. Other than Helen taking a call from the carpenter's wife and arranging for him to come round tomorrow afternoon to measure up for new apartment doors, little else happened.

So then we skip to 6:30pm when I got home and guess what!? Yes, we sat on the patio for an hour or so with a chilled glass of white - well, I did, Helen didn't feel she'd earned it having sat on her backside at the computer screen all day.

At about 8pm, Helen went indoors with the majority of the leaves from our three basil plants (of varying shapes and sizes and states of health) to make a large batch of fresh pesto while I typed out this post that has somehow ended up being longer than I expected (but not so long that Helen has had time to come and deliver her usual joke 'have you got out of bed yet?' - a dig at how long my posts often end up being, I just can't seem to cut the waffle sometimes!).

So that's it I'm afraid. Tomorrow morning promises a trip into town first thing to visit the post office, the immigration office and the supermarkets - so I expect there will be more to report then (enjoy the brevity of today's post while it lasts!).

Buonanotte

No comments:

Post a Comment